The Darden MBA - University of Virginia
The Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia was
founded in 1954. The MBA program's key strengths are general
management, biotechnology and corporate social responsibility.
Want to get into Darden’s MBA Program? Contact us to get started today!
Key Admission Stats – Darden MBA:
Average GPA of admits: 3.38
Average GMAT of admits: 701
Average Age of admits: 27
Tips for applying for a Darden MBA:
- Need to show that you will fit well with the case study
method - have strong interpersonal, communication and teamwork
- Because of case method, school pays attention to writing and
language skills as demonstrated in application/interview.
- School looks favorably on military experience (which school
sees as teaching integrity and honor as well as leadership and
- Show how army leadership experience will make you a better
- Show that you are person of integrity and interested in
- Want people who will be involved in school activities so
look for involvement in extracurricular or community service.
- Recommended to do coursework in accounting and statistics
- Good to show that you have been involved alum of
institutions in past and that know how to work with alumni.
- Strong emphasis on teamwork - teams are expected to prepare
cases together every night.
- Show that you have ability to thrive in intense academic
- School providing scholarships in order to increase number of women.
What is Darden Looking for in a
See what traits make you more likely to get accepted into Darden’s MBA Program
|Trait||Importance (4 is highest, 1 is lowest)|
|Team Player/Relationship Builder||3|
|Source of career plan/prog choice||2|
|Story is unique||1|
Vocaz has developed this information through Vocaz employees who worked with the Darden MBA admissions committee, thousands of hours of research, and by helping hundreds of applicants apply to Darden. Vocaz knows Darden, and we can help your strengths shine through your application. Contact us today.
Darden MBA – Areas of Academic
General Management, (Corporate social responsibility)
The Darden MBA Culture - Common perceptions:
- Relatively low percentage of women.
- School emphasizes business ethics and school's honor code.
- School location and culture create close-knit community
Advantages of the Darden MBA:
- Strong alumni network dedicated to school and students.
- Small college town location ranked the best place to live in
the United States. Low-cost of living.
- Class sessions in Darden’s version of case studies are
What else is special about the
Main method of teaching is the Case Study.
Heavy work-load and intense academic program, especially in
Darden will provide “seed financing” and financial assistance to
students who do their internships in start-ups/venture capital-
goal is to increase entrepreneurship.
30%-70% of the grades is based on participation in class
Who is likely to particularly enjoy the Darden MBA?
- Someone with strong interpersonal skills who wants to be
actively engaged in the classroom.
- Individuals who flourish in warm, tight-knit environments.
- Location may make it difficult for partners seeking employment
Scholarships Sample (Vocaz Clients)
– Darden MBA:
$50,000 ; $34,000
More about Darden's MBA program:
The school's location and atmosphere create a close-knit community of students, who also enjoy relatively low costs of living.
The main teaching method in the program is the case study method, and classes are often held as dynamic discussions, with discussion participation playing a significant role in determining students' grades. Therefore, the school seeks candidates with strong interpersonal skills, who enjoy teamwork and seek to be involved in school life.
Other characteristics of the program include an emphasis on business ethics and on the school's ethical code, and a relatively low percentage of women (a reality the school is seeking to change by offering scholarships to women).
Alumni include the following individuals, with current or past positions in parentheses: John Bryan (CEO and Chairman of Sara Lee), George David (CEO and Chairman of United Technologies Corporation), John Shafer Jr. (CEO of Dunkin' Donuts), Bill Hawkins (President & CEO, Medtronic Inc.).
Contact Vocaz to
start preparing your best application for the Darden MBA program.
You can also take our free MBA admission chances test to discover your chances of getting accepted into the Darden MBA program, and your other top-choice schools.